Thursday, February 2, 2012

Home for the Holiday



Once back in the United Kingdom, I completed my Christmas shopping and prepared for my journey home. With an overnight layover in Chicago, I took my father’s advice and booked into a hotel room, even though I slept only 6 hours in total. When I arrived at the airport, I was met by my mother, father, my girlfriend (Taylor), and her friend. Per usual, we stopped at Bob Evan’s for breakfast and then completed the hour and a half drive home It was so nice being home with those that I love the most. They have sacrificed a lot in the support of my various pursuits. The 14-days home seemed to fly-by. The speed was exacerbated by my engagement to Taylor. I will spare you the detail of the moment, but I think it appropriate to say that I could not be more fortunate. We plan to marry on December 22, 2012. At which time, she will join me in Cambridge. If you are interested in the wedding planning and execution, you can follow Taylor's blog (please note: she is a REAL woman and not the avatar depicted): http://itsabrideslife.com/author/taylor/?showbio=y




Whilst home, I also joined the Kinsman Area Rotary Club for the packing and distribution of food boxes to members of the local community. The event takes place at the local IGA, which converts its stock room into a distribution center. I have to admit that I found the people arriving to collect their boxes quite courageous. I think it takes true humility to seek a helping hand. The event was also supported by the Badger High School National Honors Society, who turned out in numbers despite school being closed for the holiday. All in all, I believe 60 boxes with 60 different items each were packed and handed-out. The event also gave me an opportunity to catch-up the club on various happenings and to update them on my experiences in the UK.




In all, coming home provided perspective. Many of my closest friends did not get home this Christmas as they were serving abroad or on deployment. I am grateful for the fact that I can squeak out a couple of more Christmas holidays with my family before I am expected to do the same. To those folks, I extend my heartfelt thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment