Monday, October 10, 2011

The Whirlwind

I have not observed due diligence in providing you with an update of my transition to Cambridge. I have begun four crucial processes in the interim: Lengthening my hair, growing a beard, socializing, and commencing graduate education. I have settled into my new house quite nicely. In fact, I have fallen in love with it. I can already sense separation anxiety when I return in two years, but I have a lot of living to do. The following is a somewhat comprehensive update on the first few weeks to include the journey and the settlement:

September 27:
I departed Kinsman, Ohio for the Pittsburgh Airport and enjoyed driving for the last time. It was a very emotional departure as I had grown quite fond of being home and recklessly driving from Annapolis/Washington, D.C. on many a weekend over the last few years. I will surely miss my family, friends, and loving girlfriend, Taylor. My first leg took me to Baltimore Washington Airport, where I have flown to and from on many occasions over the last four years. It was bittersweet saying goodbye to good old BWI for the final time. My flight to Newark was inevitably delayed and I missed my flight to London. After a dramatic sprint through the airport, I arrived at the gate and was told that my seat was given away. With some luck, I caught the next flight to London Heathrow and was upgraded to first class as compensation.

September 28:
I arrived at Heathrow, but my luggage did not. I soon discovered that it arrived on my original flight which was diverted to Manchester due to fog in London. So, I set off for Cambridge and 24 Grafton Street. Unfortunately, I left my cell phone in the cab and lost all communication capabilities with the Rotary, my letting agent, and the U.S. Air Force Captain who was to turnover the house to me. Fortunately, the cab driver contacted Jenny Roux with the Cambridge Rotary and is returning my phone. I quickly set about getting a phone and setting up a bank account. To take off the edge, I ventured into an English Pub, The First and Last, and enjoyed my first English Pint. I became a psuedo-regular over the first few days. I made contact with the Captain and arranged to take over the house at 530. In the interim, I went and bought a pillow and pillowcase from the Primark, a UK department store. The house was better than I could ever imagine (pictures forthcoming). I soon realized that I will need many guests to make it habitable, and I suggest that you book your stay now while availability exists.

September 29:
This day found me wandering about Cambridge, getting lost, and wondering if and when I could have a bed rather than the hard floor. I also began the immense process of cleaning the house before my household goods arrived. Fortunately, my mother provided excellent training and I was provided with a wide range of cleaning supplies by the former tenant. I finally managed to find magnificent Clare College and sign the matriculation sheet, confirming my attendance. I also received my household goods on this day and spent the afternoon with a hacksaw cutting apart my box spring in order to fit it up the twisting, narrow stair case. To note, my reassembly was quite sufficient and I have had no further problems, but I think that I will leave it in the UK when I am done.

September 30:
I received my stove, refrigerator, and washer/dryer combo. The process was quite amusing as regulation requires that your stove is connected by a professional. So, I had to arrange a service call. In addition, my baking sheets are too large for the oven. Thus, I have learned the importance of contingency planning. The micro-appliance trend is also true in terms of the refrigerator/freezer. I have limited freezer space, which is a unique challenge for someone who grew up in a house with a chest freezer.
In the evening, I went to the first MCR, or Middle Common Room, event at Clare, which included champagne tasting and pizza. The event was a blend of Cambridge elegance and typical college fare. It marked the kick-off of Fresher's Week or the week of slightly debaucherous events which serves to introduce new students whether grad or undergrad to life at Cambridge. However, I feel the lifestyle of Fresher's Week is only sustainable for those who are not responsible to the spartan-like demands of the U.S. Navy: "Come back with your shield (degree) or we will put you on shield (tremendous monetary and time debt.)"
This event solidified my understanding of the educational system at Cambridge. Academic endeavors occur at the University within each respective department while social endeavors occur at the college. The MCR comprises all graduate students at Clare College. The diversity is amazing. It ranges from individuals on all levels from masters degrees to doctoral candidates and runs the gamut in terms of nationalities. The range of studies is also amazing from anthropology to zoology. Literally, A to Z in terms of field specialities. I hold a special distinction within the group: I am the first American military officer to call Clare College home. I have one counterpart who is in the British Army. The college is actually Pro-American if not pro-military and is quite progressive. (Lord Cornwallis whose defeat at Yorktown guaranteed our independence studied at Clare College).

October 1:
I spent the day recovering from the previous night's escapade and continued the process of unpacking and stocking the fridge. In the afternoon, I went to a BBQ on Jesus Green where I met a few more companions and genuinely interesting people. We then departed for the Maypole, another popular pub. I have found the discussions to be quite broad and far-reaching. In particular, I like the diverse perspectives and the ability of people to inquisitively engage on a range of topics beyond their research. In particular, I like discussing what the Navy does in the world and where I see my value-added in the long-term.

October 2:
I spent Sunday recovering from Saturday night and continued the trend of cleaning and unpacking. I took my curtains to the cleaners on the first day and my house is quite open to public viewing, which could have something to do with the fact that the letting sign is still posted. In the evening, I journeyed by bicycle for the first-time to Clare College for a Whiskey-tasting. While not a huge fan of whiskey, my appreciation grew. We received 8 shots of various Scottish whiskies, which we sipped, described, and scrutinized. While eight shots may seem excessive to the novice, whiskey tasting usually requires sloshing and spitting. However, we sipped and consumed at a reasonable rate (3 shots per hour over 3 hours), chasing with glasses of water. I cycled home flawlessly. The jaunt is only 1 mile from both my department and my college.

October 3:
This day marked my first event within the Development Studies Department. It included a nice social where the professors introduced themselves and their courses. It was refreshing to see such heterogeneity within the department in terms of academic backgrounds (philosophy, geography, sociology, psychology, engineering, political science, economics, history, anthropology, ect.) and in terms of nationality (Only 6 U.S. students are in the program). This diversity is a strength of the program. The social that followed was excellent, but it was too short to meet and greet my fellow students. So, I have decided to hold a social for the 60 or so students at the house on Saturday, October 15. Given the size and range of lectures available, I feel that this event and events like this are essential in building a cadre of Development connections for my own benefit and the benefit of long term collaborative efforts amongst peers.

October 4:
I continued my pursuit of my social education by attending a "Rubiks Cube Bop" or dance at the Clare College Cellars, which is conveniently located below the Chapel at Clare in a catacomb-like area. The concept of the party was as follows: Wear the 6 colors of the rubiks cube and attempt to solve the Rubik's cube by acquiring one color by nights end. To attend, I had to shop. I went to the local range of second-hand stores, which are affiliates of many British charities and exist in great number. I successfully solved for blue. To my surprise, the event was actually quite calm, mild, and mature.

October 5:
I set about discovering the local libraries and registering with the NHS, or National Health Services, which provides a primary care provider in case of illness. When I arrived at the University of Cambridge Library, I almost cried. Seriously, I almost cried. It was academia. If I could be locked in any building in the world, I would choose this building without contemplation. The library was opened in the 1930's and is sight to behold. It is comprised of a central tower of 157 feet with massive wings of at least ten stories. The stacks include 7 million books and 1.5 million periodicals. As a legal deposit, all books published in Ireland and UK must be delivered on demand to the library. I fell in love. In the late afternoon, I attended an informational meeting on the Joint Social Sciences Curriculum. The program is quite expansive providing methodological instruction in the social sciences which is probably the most broad and comprehensive in the world besides Professor Michael Kellermann's curriculum at the U.S. Naval Academy.

October 6:
I entered fully into the World of Cambridge academia. I attended my first lecture on Institutions and Development which led to several findings. First, class sizes are huge in interdisciplinary studies. Second, planning at civilian institutions is wanting. The lecture room (built for 60) filled over capacity with at least 120 students. The lecture was engaging, but it was also short. I returned home stimulated and enthusiastic about the year to come. I took a break from reading and stocked the fridge with homemade angel hair, fettuccine, lasagna noodles, perogies, chili, and tomato sauce. For dinner, I joined some of my fellow service academy chums for dinner. It was quite neat to experience as our studies and experiences differ, but we share the commonality of the academies and service.

October 7:
I took on a four hour lecture block from 11 am to 3 pm. While this may seem long and arduous, I could not have been happier. The lectures covered an overview of Ajit Singh who has worked in the field of economics and development since the 1960's. His lecture covered the necessity of industrial revolutions in developing countries. His lecture revealed the left-leaning nature of the department, but it also allowed me to pull from my previous studies in the field to quietly challenge his assertions if only on paper. I was engaged to think critically and determine my position on the issue. The follow-on lecture was probably my favorite: Policy, Planning, and Regeneration, which focuses on the nexus of public policy and re-development within the modern welfare state. The class was fast-moving and for the meek economist, it was surely a one shot wonder before finding another course. However, my microeconomic understanding was such that I felt at ease. Unfortunately, it appears as though the courses will be run simultaneously due to scheduling shortcomings. So, I have begun my first lobbying campaign: To get the course moved to an agreeable time for me!
Friday also marked my matriculation ceremony at Clare College, which recognizes the incoming Fresher's at the graduate level. We donned our academic regalia (I now own a black gown similar to Harry Potter's) and went through the formal photograph, the signing of the matriculation book (a tradition dating back to the beginning of Clare), and enjoyed a three course formal dinner in the Great Hall. The food was excellent and included roasted duck, lyonaisse potatoes, tiramasu, and capped with my first taste of sherry. The event included a Latin prayer and speeches by the headmaster, tutors (welfare advocates), and the President of the MCR, a Nebraskan graduate student. His Husker's would soon overcome our Buckeye's the following night. The pageantry of the night was not lost to me. It was a very different formality than at the Naval Academy. The entire place is steeped in tradition.

October 8:
I continued my exploration of Cambridge by getting lost and running for nearly 50 minutes. I received my first house guest, Sarah Grant, another U.S Naval Academy graduate, who had her bed taken from her by a visiting family member of her housemate. I soon departed and left Sarah to her work and met Gruia, a Romanian, who studies architectural redesign and planning in post-conflict states. It was quite nice to sit and visit over a pint or two. He is quite inspirational. He told me that as a boy growing up in communist Romania that he would tell people that he wanted to be a "city-doctor." He wanted to cure the sickness of the cities in his home country through regeneration. I wish that I would have had his mentorship when I was in high school or perhaps last year when applying for scholarships. Our discussion inspired me to lobby the Navy to change my course of study during my second year from International Relations to Planning, Growth, and Regeneration, which focuses explicitly on the public policy of re-development in post-industrial areas and urban/rural planning and development.

October 9:
I spent the day reading and relaxing. My first book of term: Economics and Institutions by Geoffrey Hodgson, which covers an alternative approach to Neoclassical and Keynesian economics. While this is the overly academic description, it deals with introducing individuality and the environment into understanding economic causes and effects. As I read more, I will update the blog with my current academic readings and attempt to convey them in an approachable form. For dinner, I picked up some bacon and used left over spaghetti to make a homestyle dish from my mother: bacon and egg spaghetti with a light cream sauce. I succeeded in the replication process. Afterwards, I headed over to the MCR for movie night. It was quite interesting to watch the comedy, Snatch, as comedic effect varies so much across nationalities.

1 comment:

  1. Just have to say, the shield comment under Sept. 30 is hilarious. And oh so true.

    ReplyDelete